Banana bread recipes
This is an easy recipe that gives perfect results every time. Be sure to use overripe bananas and the right sized tin.
- 285g/10oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 85ml/3fl oz buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Technique: Creaming butter by hand
Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and
vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in
the flour mixture.
Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Banana bread recipe
- 140g butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 50g icing sugar
- handful dried banana chips, for decoration
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then slowly add the eggs with a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour, baking powder and bananas. Pour into the tin and bake for about 30 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove to a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with 2-3 tsp water
to make a runny icing. Drizzle the icing
across the top of the cake and decorate
with banana chips.
Banana bread recipesPreheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing.
Banana Bread Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 1 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Mash bananas with lemon juice in a small bowl. (You want a little texture—like semi-lumpy mashed potatoes.)
- 2. Beat butter and next 3 ingredients at low speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer 1 minute or until combined. Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
- 3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Add banana mixture, beating just until batter is blended (no more than 10 seconds). Pour batter into a well-buttered and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pan, and place on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and cool 50 minutes.